Hello to anyone reading!
This is a love list to 2010, which has now departed. It's so odd how fast time goes, so we mustn't waste it, should we?
I've been reading a lot of "thank fuck 2010 is over" or "good riddance" type things and it makes me wonder why everyone thinks it's the YEAR'S fault, and not how they perceive their lives.
Sure, shitty stuff happens to all of us, but if it keeps happening, then you really have to do something different. Probably the complete opposite.
That being said, I had a rather tumultuous year, but I knew everything would end up okay, because it always does. Worrying is really a pointless thing. Anxiety is only based on an imagined worry, something that is so unlikely to even happen. And even if it DOES happen, your brain deals with it only in the moment anyway. You can't possibly know how you will react in that moment. The only moment that even exists is right now.
So to get it out of the way, here are the very few shitty things I went through this year:
1. Olympics Anxiety/Crowd Anxiety.
2. Roommates moving out, couldn't find new ones, so was forced to leave and find a new home.
3. Having to confront someone I love about something they were doing that I hated and couldn't deal with anymore.
4. My Nana dying.
5. Apartment break-in.
And guess what! It all turned out okay! I didn't die in the crowds! I moved and got my OWN little abode. The confrontation led to better communication. And well...my Nana is gone, which royally sucks, but it brought our family together and we had a lovely time remembering her. And even though we had a break-in, no one stole MY stuff...amazing. I had left the light on in my room that day, with the door closed (for my dog). Very lucky.
Here are the best things that happened to me this year:
1. Seeing Pipeline in person.
It's been a dream of mine to see this place for a really long time. It was mesmerizing to see people play in such a dangerous place of divine beauty.
2. Hawaii in General:
I hadn't been to Hawaii since I was about 7 years old and I'd always wanted to go back. Now I want to live there, one day.
3. Concerts: La Roux, and Die Antwoord
I would like to see more shows this year, but the two I saw in 2010 were flippin' great! Die Antwoord was a treat - I'd only gotten into them two days before they played a show in Vancouver.
4. Moving to a place close enough to get spring water on a regular basis.
I rarely drink anything else!
5. Getting my hair done all fancy.
My friend Bliss does good hair.
6. Getting a VITA-MIX !!! and a dehydrator!
Seriously, the best things ever.
7. Meeting lots of new pals at work.
8. Getting another job at my favourite raw food restaurant, after 2 years of pestering!
9. Celebrating one year with my sweetie (it's up to 1.5 now!)
I made him a comic about our first year together, as a gift. I'm also stoked that he grew out his hair for me.
10. Spending time with animals.
Always a good time!
11. Durian Hot Tub Party with Pandora!
12. Rescuing two animals - a bird and a mouse.
13. Raising money for a guide dog that was hurt in a horrific incident with the Vancouver Skytrain. I helped raise a bunch of money for this dog (well, the owner!) to help cover the huge vet bill. The dog is okay, by the way.
14. Getting an apology I have wanted for over 2 years.
Favourite Books of the Year!
I read 84 books this year (!) but these are my favourites.
1. I Am an Emotional Creature: The Secret Life of Girls Around the World
2. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
3. A Mess of Everything
4. As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial
5. Drugs Are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir
6. Insecure at Last: A Political Memoir
7. A Child's Life and Other Stories
8. Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto
9. The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
10. Ecstatic Beings: 144,000 Ways to Eternal Ecstatic Bliss
11. The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
12. Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
13. Solitude: Seeking Wisdom in Extremes: A Year Alone in the Patagonia Wilderness
14. Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea
15. The Road
16. How Sassy Changed My Life: A Love Letter to the Greatest Teen Magazine of All Time
Also the Scott Pilgrim books, Y: The Last Man (graphic novel series), and anything by Jeffrey Brown, especially Clumsy and Unlikely.
AND...the Anastasia books, ALWAYS. - I still have a few to go.
I could list several more, but those are the ones I loved the most.
Black Swan, Avatar, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Temple Grandin, Martyrs (completely insane and gruesome), Alice in Wonderland, The Runaways.
Documentaries: Food Inc., The Botany of Desire, Tribe (show).
Music I Most Enjoyed
Die Antwoord, Max Normal, Sleigh Bells, Lady Gaga (yep), Bright Bright Bright, Crystal Castles.
1. White Hot Truth. Brilliant.
2. 90's Woman. Nostalgic.
3. Angeliska Gazette. Beauty.
4. Damn You Auto Correct. Hilarity.
5. Gala Darling. Whirlwind.
6. Keri Smith. Mess Creatrix.
7. Style Rookie. Spitfire.
8. Yes and Yes. Dazzling.
9. Unicorns for Socialism. Divine.
10. The Art of Non-Conformity. Amazing.
11. Earth Empress. Magical.
12. Daniel Vitalis. Primal.
As always, Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver.
And favourite photo!
And last of all, my favourite video of the year!!
Happy New Year everyone!